For most situations, common sense will tell you what foods to avoid. Hard foods, sticky foods and foods high in sugar must be avoided. Hard foods can break or damage wires and brackets. Sticky foods can get caught between brackets and wires. Minimize sugary foods; they cause tooth decay and related problems. Nail biting, pencil and pen chewing and chewing on foreign objects should be avoided.
Examples of Sticky Foods to Avoid:
- Gum (sugar-free or regular)
- Sugar Daddies
- Tootsie Rolls
Examples of Hard Foods to Avoid:
- Hard taco shells
- French bread crust/rolls
- Corn on the cob
- Apples and carrots (unless cut into small pieces)
- Jolly Ranchers
- Pizza crust
- Uncooked carrots (unless cut)
Minimize Sugary Foods like:
- Ice Cream
Only Once a Day:
- Sweetened tea
- Drinks with sugar
It’s important to regularly check your braces for bent or loose wires and brackets. In the event of a loose/broken wire or bracket, call our office immediately to arrange an appointment for repair.
When looking for things to eat, avoid anything that could stick to your braces or get stuck behind the wires. Generally, the softer the texture the better.
- Soft Fruits – Grapefruits, nectarines, kiwi, and tangerines
- Vegetables – Steam them so that they come out soft
- Dairy Products – Yogurt and cheese are good alternatives to tough meat
- Soft Meats – Tender chicken, turkey, meat loaf, lunch meat, seafood
- Desserts – Pudding, applesauce, smoothies, ice cream
- Soft Grains – Cooked pasta, cooked rice
- Soft Breads – Tortillas, biscuits, muffins, pancakes
- Eggs – Another good alternative to tough meats, especially breakfast foods like bacon
Protect and Preserve Your Smile
As we mentioned earlier, part of protecting your teeth involves eating right. The other part involves caring for your teeth correctly. It takes a little more time and effort to brush and floss effectively with braces on, but it’s still essential to clean your teeth regularly.